Monthly Archives: October 2017

Toddler Denied Kidney Transplant Rushed To Hospital

By Diannah Watson, BlackAmericaWeb.com

2-year old A.J. Burgess was rushed to the hospital on Sunday night, October 29, 2017, for treatment of an infection.

As previously reported, Burgess was born without kidneys and has been waiting for a transplant. His father Anthony Dickerson is a perfect match but is unable to donate because of a violation of his probation.

In an interview with WTSP news, the family’s attorney Mawuli Davis said, “Today has not been a good day for baby AJ or the family. But they remain hopeful, strong in spirit even as his body weakens.”

A prayer vigil for A.J. was called for by the Coalition to Support Baby A.J.’s Condition and U.S. Rep. John Lewis and Hank Johnson in front of Egleston Children’s Hospital in Atlanta.

Emory Hospital informed Dickerson that he’d have to have “good behavior” for the next three to four months if he wants to be the donor for his son. The problem, however, is that A.J. is believed to not have much time left.

The family is desperate and is asking anyone if they can help in any way possible.

Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter …read more

Source:: Black America Web

Even Barack Obama Has To Report For Jury Duty

By EURweb.com

Look who’s about to do some jury duty. Why, it’s non other than Barack Obama. The former president will begin his civic duty next month in Chicago, his adopted hometown.According to Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans, county commissioners were told on Friday that Mr. Obama’s safety will be “upmost in our minds” when he serves.

Obama, of course has made Washington, DC his primary residence since leaving the White House. However, he and Michelle still have their Chicago address as well (where he is registered to vote).Evans told the Tribune that Obama’s decision to show up for jury duty is “highly appreciated.”

“It’s crucial that our society get the benefit of that kind of commitment,” he said.

As you might have guessed, Obama isn’t the first president to go to jury duty. In 2015, Former President George W Bush reported for jury duty in a Dallas courthouse. He wasn’t selected but posed for pictures with other potential jurors.

This wouldn’t be the first celebrity in an Illinois courthouse either. Oprah Winfrey was selected in 2004 for a murder trial where the defendant was found guilty. She said that her experience as a juror was one of the saddest in …read more

Source:: Black America Web

Grambling State University Freshman Arrested For Double Murder

By Kellee Terrell

Louisiana police arrested a Grambling State University freshman who was responsible for the shooting deaths of two young Black men earlier this week.

According to ABC News, Jaylin M. Wayne, 19, has been charged with first-degree murder for the deaths of Earl Andrews, 23, a senior at Grambling State, and Monquiarious Caldwell, 23. Wayne turned himself into police on Thursday after killing the two early Wednesday morning.

Freshman At Grambling State Arrested For Fatal Shooting – Jaylin M. Wayne fled the scene after the incident. https://t.co/r2NQ52VP8F

— The Turtons (@TheTurtonsTV) October 27, 2017

The Lincoln Parish Sheriff’s Office told the press that the tragic shooting happened after Wayne and Andrews got into a fight inside a dorm room. The fight spilled out into the courtyard, where Wayne ended up shooting the two men. After the shooting, Wayne later fled the scene.

Lincoln Parish’s sheriff Mike Stone confirmed that the shooting was not an act of terrorism or a random act of violence.

“This tragic incident appears to have occurred between persons that knew each other, to some extent at least. There are no indicators that this incident bears any resemblance to any of the random acts …read more

Source:: Black America Web

American Airlines CEO Sees Opportunity In NAACP Criticism

By David Koenig, AP Airlines Writer

DALLAS (AP) — The CEO of American Airlines said Thursday he is looking forward to company representatives meeting with the NAACP to discuss the civil rights group’s charge that carrier has a culture of racial insensitivity.

The NAACP earlier this week warned African-Americans that if they fly on American, they may face discrimination or even safety issues.

CEO Doug Parker said his first reaction to the NAACP’s charge was, “How can that be true of us?” He described the airline as having “a diverse and open environment and organization.”

But he says he now sees a chance to improve the airline.

“Once you get past that, this is a fantastic opportunity because we want to get better,” Parker told reporters during a call to discuss the company’s latest financial results. “If the NAACP wants to talk to us and wants to help us get better, we are excited about that.”

The NAACP issued a “travel advisory” and cited four recent incidents where African-American passengers, including an NAACP official, believed they were mistreated because of their race.

Since the start of 2016, passengers flying on American have filed 29 complaints of racial discrimination with the federal government, the most against any U.S. carrier, followed …read more

Source:: Black America Web

Timberlake At Super Bowl: White Male Privilege Again?

By Mesfin Fekadu, AP Music Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — The booking of Justin Timberlake for the Super Bowl halftime show has triggered a backlash from women, minorities and others who say Janet Jackson was unfairly forced to pay a far higher price than he ever faced for that breast-baring “wardrobe malfunction” at the big game in 2004.

The hashtag #justiceforjanet trended on social media this week after the NFL announced Timberlake would perform Feb. 4 in Minneapolis.

Justin Timberlake being welcomed back to the Super Bowl with open arms is the definition of white privilege. #JusticeforJanet

— Katy Clark (@AllEyesOnKaty) October 23, 2017

Some argued that Jackson fell victim to a sexist and racist double standard and received harsher treatment over a decade ago than Timberlake did, while he benefited from “white male privilege.”

“His body was not criminalized and demonized in the way that hers was, and that has everything to do with being a white man,” said Janell Hobson, an associate professor of women’s, gender and sexuality studies at the State University of New York at Albany.

Representatives for Timberlake and Jackson did not respond to emails seeking comment.

The NFL said no one has been banned from the halftime show …read more

Source:: Black America Web

Judge OK’s Awards Up To $1000 Each For Baton Rouge Protesters

By Associated Press

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — A federal judge approved a class-action settlement Friday that awards up to $1,000 in cash to dozens of protesters who claim police violated their civil rights and used excessive force in arresting them after a deadly police shooting in Louisiana.

The deal resolves one of several lawsuits against law enforcement agencies in Baton Rouge after the July 2016 shooting death of Alton Sterling, a 37-year-old black man. The shooting was one of several recent cases across the U.S. that fueled a debate about race and policing.

Black Lives Matter movement leader DeRay Mckesson is among 69 arrested protesters eligible for cash payments ranging from $500 to $1,000 now that the U.S. District Judge John W. deGravelles has given his final approval. The judge, who said the total value of the settlement is about $136,000, ruled from the bench after a hearing in Baton Rouge that Mckesson and another plaintiff attended.
Mckesson, 32, of Baltimore, said the settlement demonstrates courts can be an effective vehicle for holding officers and city governments “accountable” for police misconduct.

<img data-attachment-id="640425" data-permalink="https://blackamericaweb.com/2017/10/06/federal-judge-to-dismiss-second-blm-suit/deray-mckesson-3/" data-orig-file="https://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/deraymckessonap.jpg?quality=99&strip=all&strip=all" data-orig-size="447,335" data-comments-opened="1" data-image-meta="{"aperture":"0","credit":"AP","camera":"","caption":"FILE – In this July 10, 2016, file photo, Black Lives Matter activist DeRay Mckesson talks to …read more

Source:: Black America Web

NY Mother Arrested For Leaving Children In Car During An Interview

By Diannah Watson, BlackAmericaWeb.com

A New York was arrested Wednesday, October 25, 2017, for leaving her young children in a car unattended.

The women left her two daughters ages 7 and 8 inside her car as she went for a job interview at LaGuardia Airport.

NY Daily News reports that officers found the two girls sitting in the back of the car at around 3 p.m.

Their mother left the air conditioning on in the car so that the girls wouldn’t get too hot.

When asked by police where their mother was, they said they didn’t know. However, they did give the name of their school where officials were able to get in contact with the mother.

Nida Joseph Delgado, the girl’s mother was sitting in a job interview in the terminal when authorities got in contact with her an hour later.

Joseph Delgado told police that her daughters were okay being alone in the car. She’s charged with two misdemeanor counts of acting in a way injurious to a child.

Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Sign Up For Our Newsletter!

John Kelly Distorted Frederica Wilson’s Comments At FBI Ceremony

By By TERRY SPENCER and CALVIN WOODWARD, Associated Press

(AP Photo/Alan Diaz)

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — President Donald Trump‘s chief of staff distorted the facts when he accused a “selfish” Florida Rep. Frederica Wilson of grandstanding at a building dedication in the memory of two slain FBI agents in 2015.

John Kelly said she stunned the audience at the somber ceremony by recounting how she had been the driving force behind raising money for the building, the FBI’s South Florida headquarters. But a video of her remarks at the dedication shows she never took credit for getting the government to come up with the money for the project. Indeed, the building was approved several years before she entered Congress.

The long-ago episode has become caught up in a swirl of recriminations, sparked days ago when Trump made an empty boast that he surpassed previous presidents in reaching out to families of the fallen. One such outreach backfired, leaving a family feeling that their late son, Sgt. La David Johnson, was disrespected by Trump in a phone conversation with his widow, according to the aunt who raised him.

In addition, both Trump and Kelly implied nefarious motives by Wilson in listening to that call — “SECRETLY,” as Trump put it …read more

Source:: Black America Web

Don Lemon Contacts Police Over Disturbing Death Threats From White Nationalist

By Eurweb.com

CNN anchor Don Lemon has contacted police after receiving multiple racist death threats by a self-proclaimed white nationalist Trump supporter, TMZ reports.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ Lemon contacted the NYPD Wednesday after allegedly receiving multiple messages on Twitter, some that read, “F*** you n****r can’t wait to stab your neck” and “U r a pile of rotting Dogsh*t, racist, communist, socialist, Liberal moron a**hole, I will find u. U will pay. ill see u real soon…”

These threats came after Lemon wrote an open letter to the President asking him to stop attacking the widow of slain soldier Sgt. LaDavid T. Johnson. Johnson and three other soldiers were ambushed and killed overseas in Niger.

Don Lemon’s open letter to Trump: ‘Please stop!’ – CNN https://t.co/G8xRDjgNSc

— Don Lemon (@donlemon) October 24, 2017

The user’s Twitter profile is also unsettling, according to TMZ. It reads: “white nationalist conservative. pro-gun anti Islam anti-terrorist anti-leftist yes i HATE democrats,BLM,antifa ,socialists. heavily armed racist.WLM.” He also makes it clear that he backs Trump.

The report with NYPD was made for aggravated harassment, but TMZ sources say it’ll likely be considered a hate crime.

The investigation into the threats is still …read more

Source:: Black America Web

Bill Cosby Trying Get $30 Million Loan Against Home To Pay Legal Bills

By Eurweb.com

With legal bills mounting and a retrial for sexual assault on the horizon, Bill Cosby is reportedly looking to take a $30 million loan against his Upper East Side townhouse to pay for it all.

The 80-year-old comedian is trying to take the hard money loan on his 12,000 square foot mansion, “Page Six TV” revealed Wednesday.

He purchased the six-story townhouse in 1987 for $6.2 million and reportedly spent another $1.2 million in renovations. Neighbors include Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece, Cantor Fitzgerald CEO, and chairman Howard Lutnick, and billionaire Jeffrey Epstein, who spent 13 months in jail after pleading guilty to soliciting prostitution from an underage girl in 2008.

A source told Page Six, “Cosby is looking for a 30 million hard money loan against the house. Which means Cosby must be desperate because the banks won’t give him money. Hard money loans have high interest rates and are usually repaid in a short time, such as a year.

“But the lenders aren’t keen to give Cosby the money because they don’t think he has enough equity. Also, the lenders believe if they foreclose on the house, that they may not sell it. Provenance and the history of a house are very …read more

Source:: Black America Web